Friday, September 4, 2009

Deep Profile - Neil Buddle

Neil Buddle – Visual Artist



Despite producing work consistently over the last 10 years, the last 2 years have seen a marked change in my efforts to grow and develop my art practice.



In 2007 I was given the opportunity to take part in the Waitakere Open Studio Weekend (An event I had instigated previously in my role as Community Arts Coordinator for Waitakere City Council). For this event I presented a summary of previous work and a new series of ‘multiple’ paintings entitled, Afterlife. Through this event I sold several works and was fortunate enough to make some new connections. It was partly due to this that I realised that if I was serious about making art and growing as an artist, that from that point I would need to make a concerted effort to develop my practice and importantly, that making art, should pay it’s own way.


Since then, I have produced more work than any other time since art-college. The connections made through the Open Studio Weekend have resulted in the production of 2 sets of kiwiana-inspired prints for gallery shops in Auckland (Pauanesia and The Next Door Gallery). The revenue from these prints has enabled me to not only produce more personal and challenging work, but to enter several established exhibitions as well.


I am currently working on a new set of kiwiana prints for Pauanesia, a major series of prints (Hopefully for a 1st solo/dealer gallery show?) that follow on from a 2005 body of work called ‘Sightline’, in addition to entering the Whanganui National Art Award and the Sarjeant Review Show.


Whilst working pre-eminently in print over the last 2 years, I have retained my passion for Assemblage. This exhibition has given me the opportunity to re-engage with assemblage, under the umbrella of ‘Amalgamated Tech’.



Exhibitions 07-09:



2007

Waitakere Open Studio Weekend – Blink Gallery, Waitakere City, Auckland, New Zealand



The Art of Assemblage (Tribute to Peter Sauerbier) – Corban Estate Arts Centre, Waitakere City, Auckland, New Zealand



2008



Silk Cut Lino Award 2008 (Selected Artist) – Glen Eira City Gallery, Melbourne, Australia



Carey and Smith Review Show 2008 – Sarjeant Gallery, Whanganui, New Zealand




2009




Metonymy 2009 – Aotea Centre, Auckland, New Zealand




Ivan Rebroff is my Security Blanket – Federal Gallery, UCOL, Whanganui




Upcoming Shows

Wanganui National Art Award 2009 – Community Arts Centre, Whanganui, New Zealand



Retail Outlets:



Pauanesia - Queen Street, CBD, Auckland



Next Door Gallery - Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead, Auckland



Internet:



Different Drum – Neil Buddle Personal website



Diglog – DIG Collective Blog



Picasa – Neil Buddle – Web Gallery



Email – digreverend@gmail.com




The Wanganui National Art Exhibition and Award is presented by Optiv101 Fine Arts and Multimedia Studios


Copyright © 2009 Optiv101 Fine Arts and Multimedia Studios